Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Should I force my loved one into substance abuse treatment?



Should I force my loved one into substance abuse treatment?




If you are struggling with this question, please read this.  My brother-in-law is struggling with feelings of guilt after his wife (only 50 years old) passed away suddenly this past weekend.  She collapsed at home and died within 24 hours.  "I should have been more aggressive to get her into a program."  She lived in Virginia and we lived in Florida.  Although I'm in the field of addictions and knew there were issues, I never expected this.  What I also know from my training and experience in the field, coerced or forced treatment works.  Whether by civil, criminal, or personal persuasion, if you get them into treatment, a loved ones motivation can be influenced by treatment so they want the help.  But without being forced into it, they won't seek it out on their own.  Don't give in to keeping secrets, get help, and do it now before it is too late.

Patrick Miley, Ed.S, CAP, LMHC



www.vincecartersanctuary.org

If you would like to stay up to date with our latest news click here - http://vincecartersanctuary.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=cba1d1d032577b1f0c34869e3&id=86d805f146

No comments:

Post a Comment